We all love picnics, and the prospect of sitting outdoors in the rain is something that gets everyone’s heart racing. But what happens when the rain starts coming down hard? How do you have a picnic in the rain without getting wet?
Here are a few tips to help you out:
Make sure that you bring enough food and drinks for everyone.
When the weather is not cooperating with your picnic plans, don’t worry! With a few key items and supplies, you can make sure to enjoy the delicious food in your picnic basket.
Make sure that you prepare & bring enough food and drinks for everyone, and don’t forget to pack a few umbrellas and raincoats!
Don’t forget to bring a trash bag to put the garbage in and to keep them dry. If you want to minimize making a mess you serve the food in a plastic or glass container.
With the right attitude and supplies, you can make the most out of your rainy picnic and create beautiful memories with friends and family.
Pack plenty of waterproof clothes and gear.
A Picnic experience in the rain may seem like a daunting task, but with the right gear and preparation, you can still have a great time! Make sure to pack plenty of waterproof clothing, rain boots, and accessories such as umbrellas and rain jackets to keep yourself dry.
Related Reads: How to have a picnic in the winter
Top 5 clothing options for a rainy day picnic
- Waterproof Boots
- Waterproof Pants
- Waterproof Jacket
This way, if it starts raining buckets, you’ll still be able to enjoy your picnic!
Bring a small tent or tarp for rain shelter
A great way to stay dry is to bring a small tent or tarp for shelter. This will keep you and your picnic items dry while still allowing you to enjoy the outdoors. More importantly, it will keep you from getting drenched.
With the right tent or tarp, you can be just as cozy and fun as one in the sunshine. So don’t let a little water and dampness stop you from having a great time outdoors over the weekend!
If it starts raining heavily, find somewhere sheltered to stay dry.
If you find yourself caught in a downpour, don’t despair—just find a nearby shelter to wait out the storm. A good place to wait out a rainstorm will be in a covered area, such as a car, or inside a building if it is open.
Once the rain stops, you can still enjoy your picnic—just make sure to dry off any wet surfaces and keep any food items covered to protect them from getting wet.
With a little creativity, you can still make the most of your outdoor picnic despite some rain.
3 Tips to Keeping Your Food & Snacks Dry
It’s important to keep your food, drinks, and snacks as dry as possible. When not in use place everything back inside your cooler. Here are a few tips to help you out:
1. Bring a tarp to put under your picnic blanket. This will help to keep your food and supplies safe from rain and water droplets.
2. Put heavier items on the bottom of the basket. This will help distribute the weight more evenly and prevent it from tipping over.
3. Pack essential items in a zip-top bag. This way, they’ll stay dry even if your other supplies get wetted down by the rain. Nobody likes a soggy sandwich.
To keep your food dry, you should use a proper tarp or a temporary rain shelter. Make sure that the tarp is securely fastened and waterproof.
If using a temporary rain shelter, ensure that it is large enough to cover your food and that it has adequate ventilation to prevent condensation from forming.
Added Tips: Keep your food warm
How to Keep Yourself Entertained
Having a picnic in the rain can still be a great way to get out and enjoy nature, but it can also get a bit boring if you don’t have the right activities to keep yourself entertained.
To make your rainy picnic more enjoyable, bring along some board games or cards to play with your friends and family. You can even bring along some waterproof speakers and create a mini dance party!
Rainy picnics don’t have to be boring – just get creative and enjoy the unique experience of being outside in the rain!
The Best Games to Play When It’s Wet
Rainy days don’t have to ruin a picnic! With the right games, you can still have a fun time even when it’s wet outside. From classic card games to outdoor activities like water balloon tosses, there are plenty of ideas for how to have a blast.
Have some family-friendly fun by playing tic-tac-toe in the mud or take advantage of the wet weather with a game of tag with water guns. No matter what kind of picnic you’re having, these rainy-day games are sure to bring lots of laughs and smiles.
Here are some of the best games to play while picnicking in the rain:
- Catch this classic game is perfect for rainy days because it is easy to keep track of and involves little physical activity.
- Duck Duck Goose this game is also easy to play, but it can get competitive and messy really fast.
- Jenga, this classic puzzle, is easy to transport and lots of fun, which makes it perfect for rainy days.
- Charades, this game is a classic for a reason- it’s hilarious to watch friends try to act out silly things while keeping their true identities hidden.
- Water Balloon Toss is the perfect activity to take on a rainy day! You can toss water balloons around in fun competitions with your friends or just enjoy watching them fly through the air.
- Pictionary is perfect for any occasion, and it’s especially fun to play when it’s raining.
- Scavenger Hunt is a fun game that can be played indoors or outdoors. It is a great way to get rid of boredom and keep everyone entertained.
- Capture the Flag is a classic game that is perfect for days when it’s raining, and the ground is wet. You will 100% get dirty playing this one.
- Twister is great for those who don’t mind getting dirty. It’s a twisting, turning game that will have you laughing and sweating all at the same time.
- Checkers is another classic game that can be played outdoors under a large tarp. This game is great for rainy days because it doesn’t require much room and is easy to transport.
- Chess, just like checkers, is an easy game to play outside that can last for hours. It’s a great way to build mental stamina and strategize for the future. I hope for your sake there aren’t any strong winds.
There are countless rainy-day games that you and your friends can enjoy while picnicking in the rain.
Conclusion to having a picnic in the rain
Having a picnic in the rain can be just as enjoyable as having one on a sun filled day. With the right set-up, you can easily make any rainy day picnic a fun and memorable experience.
From bringing tarps to keeping your food covered, there are plenty of ways to ensure that your picnic in the rain is a success. So don’t let the bad weather stop you from enjoying a beautiful outdoor meal – embrace it!